In 1929 a breakwall was constructed by the American Construction Co. to protect Cleveland's water treatment plant located on the shores of Lake Erie at E.140th St. & Lakeshore Blvd. The newly constructed breakwall provided no access to the lake so in 1938 a young entrepreneur and avid boater donated $10,000.00 to create passage to Lake Erie and the start of a new era known today as Northeast Yacht Club began.
Originally established in 1938 as White City Yacht Club our founding members constructed wood framed dockage and by 1945 White City Yacht Club was home to over 100 faithful members. In 1952 a powerful Lake Erie storm destroyed the club's wooden docks. White City Yacht Club's loyal membership rallied to rebuild the docks with an efficient new harbor design. Construction began immediately featuring new steel catwalks for the 9 acre harbor and dockage for more than 150 boats.
Our clubhouse which originally served as a storage facility for U.S. military torpedoes was purchased in 1948 from the United States Navy. The 15' x 30' building was relocated by membership to it's current location on club grounds. With the new clubhouse in place, White City Yacht was renamed to Northeast Yacht Club in 1948.
Over the years, numerous clubhouse expansions, modernizations, & continous renovation attracted rapid membership growth to Northeast Yacht Club. Membership affordability, club imenities, and member interaction combined with the conveniece of our location and immediate access to Lake Erie and numerous Cleveland area points of interest became widely recognized.
In 2002 Northeast Yacht Club's new breakwall was constructed. Vastly improved, the new footprint standing 11 feet above Lake Erie and 12 feet wide the newly constructed breakwall provides Northeast Yacht Club's harbor incredible protection from the potential furies of Lake Erie.
A proud tradition established by the originating founders of Northeast Yacht Club in 1948 lives on today. The dedicated efforts, talents, and skills of our membership, devoted club officers, and auxiliary is the foundation of common goal teamwork that keeps Northeast Yacht Club affordable to all, freshly renovated, and an absolute great place to call home.
Today, Northeast Yacht Club offers secure, affordable, and convenient accomodations to Lake Erie. We feature 158 steel docks, guarded security, 30 amp electric service, dockside water and wireless internet, ethenol free gas docks, pump out facilities, winter & summer storage, and a 30 ton member operated travel lift. Our newly renovated 3,800 sq.ft. clubhouse offers a commercial kitchen, fireplace, refreshment area, wireless internet, HDTV, renovated showers, ADA restrooms, and plenty of friendly membership interaction in our newly constructed 3,000 sq. ft. fully enclosable pavillion.
We invite you to contact us at (216) 481-9558 or e-mail us at email@example.com for more information about our club or becoming a new member. Visit us on our facebook link located on the neyc.org home page for a taste of member feedback and a look at what you can expect from past summerlong NEYC member events .